Today is our 'last day of school'. We're currently waiting on Devin to call me and tell me when the kids have hair cutting appointments for us to plan the rest of our day, and since the kids are busy destroying their room, I decided to shut myself in my room to avoid it. :) I'm hoping with it being the 'end' of school, and a few days' break until we 'start', that I can have some time to post some more. Maybe. Maybe not. Since all the other kids in the area are starting school, that may help with a little more free time. We shall see.
So, in a nutshell...
- Five new families have moved in in the past few months. While we haven't officially sponsored all of them, we've tried our best to help them out as much as possible: Grocery shopping, play dates for kids, etc. All of them have kids around our kids' ages, so while our kids are supremely happy having all these other kids around to play with, it's been exhausting! Ha!
- The embassy was closed for a week. You'd think I would have more time to sit and update then, but I didn't. That week was set aside for me to be able to order my year's homeschooling supplies, since the kids were slated to be in summer camp. Since summer camp was canceled, and Devin was home, I took advantage of that and did a LOT of research for next year. I'm VERY excited for what we'll be doing, though! It should be fun!
- We've had lots of house guests! One cute little family lived with us for about 3 weeks (mom, dad, 2 month old baby) and we loved having them here! Two days after they left, another lady who's doing doctoral research here arrived and is staying with us until early September. We really love having people over. I will admit, though, that it will be nice to have my library room back!!
- I've been trying desperately to deep clean my house. Our apt is so small and it seems that if I don't keep up with the decluttering, it attacks me. I'm trying to like my house, and it doesn't help me like it when I'm attacked by junk constantly lying on the floors and covering every surface I see. GAH!!
- I've been planning for the last day of school and gathering all of the kids' work to make really cool portfolios. Unfortunately, they're not finished, because our printer died a few weeks ago and the guys said they'd have it either done or give us credit within 10-14 days. It's been 15 days and still no word. Annoying. I have a LOT of printing to do. I'm about ready to head over there and start demanding. Maybe that would make them move a little faster.
- I was part of the first YW LDS Girls' Camp here! I helped the YW president plan out the camp and last week, we spent a week with the girls (ages 12-18) in cabins in Ajloun! It was REALLY stressful, but very fun, and in the end, I think it was a great success. Next year's camp is already in the works! :)
- While at camp, we learned that the father of two of our girls up there passed away. So desperately sad. I was the unfortunate one who had to tell them and we sobbed together--I still cry when I think about it. I had to take them home in the middle of camp. Unfortunately, I had lent out my GPS to someone the night before. The 1 hour 15 minute drive home to Amman took us nearly 4 hours instead, as we ended up almost in Syria! Doh! But, we saw some lovely country, made some interesting friends, and had a great time chatting! I think that story deserves to be told! Ha!
- We planned and held a lovely memorial service for our friend and helped their family on their way to Sri Lanka so they could see family.